Friday, June 14, 2013

Jummah

Today is Friday and in Muslim households goes as Jummah. This by far was the best day of the week for me.
Since I was young child Jummah preparations started on Thursday night my sister and I would take our bath and having very long hair and it being night my mommy would have to blow dry our hair, I thought blow drying hair was the worse thing under the sun even worse than veggies.
Jummah in my house meant you wore your best or if you had anything new then this is the day you wear it, not only do you wear your best you eat the better.
A Jummah morning, usually starts with and Islamic radio station playing loud throughout my house, my mom does the cooking its always an Indian dish, we get up, have breakfast (nothing heavy, since we have a wonderful lunch ahead of us) we then each hit the showers and the men folk leaves for the Jummah prayer. While the men are away, the ladies tidy up, set the table, make salads, desserts and then we also go and pray but in the comfort of our house. When the men return we have a family lunch and my dad will tell us what the Friday lecture was about. Sometimes dad will bring a friend home, then the rules change, my mom is in hijab so we will have our lunch in at the kitchen.

My favourite Friday lunch meals are; mutton Biryani, carrot halva, and daal and rice. After Jummah lunch since I have retired parents, we just laze around and chat.

When I was studying fashion designing I missed Friday lunch and it was always a sad feeling between 12-2 knowing that was Jummah lunch time at my house, but I survived and now it's my younger brother's turn as his 1st BA at wits and even thou the foods always good there is always the empty seat that makes us appreciate the times when he is there
Me after Jummah lunch

jummah evening on my way to meet people
Who went Umrah (visited Saudi)

One of my favourite cloaks with a pleat detail

Sea food Biryani thanks to my amazing sister

Salad, we love our salads

biryani my mom made when we in CPT

 

Another beautiful salad
 P.s these pictures were taken on all different Jummah's

Drizzle's are enjoyed best on summer days
Aaqelah Salojee
 

No comments:

Post a Comment